To capture control plane and data plane packets in real time, similar to a UNIX tcpdump operation, and to save these packets to a file (available on vEdge routers only):
- In vManage NMS, select the Monitor ► Network screen.
- Select the device:
- From the Device Groups drop-down list, select the device group to which the device belongs. The device table lists all the devices in the selected group.
- Select the device by clicking its hostname. The left pane lists the information categories about the device.
- Click Troubleshooting in the left pane.
- From the Traffic pane, click App Packet Capture.
- From the VPN drop-down, select the VPN in which to capture packets.
- From the Interface drop-down, select the interface over which to capture packets.
- Optionally, click Traffic Filter to filter the packets to capture based on values in their IP headers. Enter values for one or more of these fields:
- In Source IP, enter the packets' source IP address.
- In Source Port, enter the packets' source port number.
- In Protocol, enter the packets' protocol number
- In Destination IP, enter the packets' destination IP address.
- In Destination Port, enter the packets' destination port number.
- Click Start. The packet capture begins, and displays its progress:
- Packet Capture in Progress—Packet capture stops after 5 minutes, after the file of collected packets reaches 5 MB, or when you click the Stop button.
- Preparing file to download—vManage NMS creates a file in libpcap format (a .pcap file).
- File ready, click to download the file—Click the download icon to download the generated file.
Introduced in vManage NMS in Release 18.2.