Use the Banner template for all Viptela devices.
You can configure two different banner text strings, one to be displayed before the CLI login prompt on a Viptela device and the other to be displayed after a successful login to the device.
- To configure the banner text for login screens using vManage templates, create a Banner feature template to configure PIM parameters, as described in this article.
- To configure a login banner for the vManage NMS system, see the Administration ► Settings help file.
Navigate to the Template Screen
- In vManage NMS, select the Configuration ► Templates screen.
- In the Device tab, click Create Template.
- From the Create Template drop-down, select From Feature Template.
- From the Device Model drop-down, select the type of device for which you are creating the template.
- Click the Additional Templates tab located directly beneath the Description field, or scroll to the Additional Templates section.
- From the Banner drop-down, click Create Template. The Banner template form is displayed. The top of the form contains fields for naming the template, and the bottom contains fields for defining Banner parameters.
When you first open a feature template, for each parameter that has a default value, the scope is set to Default (indicated by a check mark), and the default setting or value is shown. To change the default or to enter a value, click the scope drop-down to the left of the parameter field and select one of the following:
Device Specific (indicated by a host icon)
Use a device-specific value for the parameter. For device-specific parameters, you cannot enter a value in the feature template. You enter the value when you attach a Viptela device to a device template.
When you click Device Specific, the Enter Key box opens. This box displays a key, which is a unique string that identifies the parameter in a CSV file that you create. This file is an Excel spreadsheet that contains one column for each key. The header row contains the key names (one key per column), and each row after that corresponds to a device and defines the values of the keys for that device. You upload the CSV file when you attach a Viptela device to a device template. For more information, see Create a Template Variables Spreadsheet.
To change the default key, type a new string and move the cursor out of the Enter Key box.
Examples of device-specific parameters are system IP address, hostname, GPS location, and site ID.
Global (indicated by a globe icon)
Enter a value for the parameter, and apply that value to all devices.
Examples of parameters that you might apply globally to a group of devices are DNS server, syslog server, and interface MTUs.
Minimum Banner Configuration
The following parameters are required (unless otherwise indicated) to configure a banner:
|1.||Template Name||Enter a name for the template. It can be up to 128 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.|
|2.||Description (Template)||Enter a description of the template. It be up to 2048 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.|
|3.||Login banner|| |
Enter text to display before the login prompt. The string can be up to 2048 characters long. To insert a line break, type \n.
|4.||MOTD banner||Enter message-of-the-day text to display after a successful login. The string can be up to 2048 characters long. To insert a line break, type \n.|
|5.||Save||Click Save to save the feature template.|
Introduced in vManage NMS in Release 15.2.