You can use the OMP template for all vEdge Cloud and vEdge router devices, and for vSmart controllers.
The Viptela Overlay Management Protocol (OMP) establishes and maintains the Viptela control plane.
To configure OMP using vManage templates:
- Create an OMP feature template to configure OMP parameters, as described in this article.
- Create a device template that incorporates the OMP feature template. See the Configuration ► Templates help topic.
Navigate to the Template Screen
- In vManage NMS, select the Configuration ► Templates screen.
- From the Templates title bar, select Feature.
- Click Add Template.
- In the left pane, select one or more devices. The right pane displays the available templates for the selected devices.
- Select the OMP template.
The right pane displays the OMP template form.
- The top of the form contains fields for naming the template.
- The bottom contains fields for defining parameters applicable to that template.
- A drop-down menu to the left of each parameter field defines the scope of the parameter. When you first open a feature template form, for each parameter that has a default value, the scope is set to Default. To edit a parameter field, change the scope to Global or Device Specific. Note that if a parameter's scope is Device Specific, you cannot enter a value for it in the feature template. Instead, you enter a value when you attach the template to a device.
- A plus sign (+) is displayed to the right when you can add multiple entries for the same parameter.
Minimum OMP Configuration
OMP is enabled by default on all vEdge routers, vManage NMSs, and vSmart controllers, so there is not need to explicitly configure or enable OMP. OMP must be operational for the Viptela overlay network to function. If you disable it, you disable the overlay network.
Configure Additional OMP Options
To configure additional OMP options:
|1.||Template Name||Enter a name for the template. It can be up to 128 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.|
|2.||Description (Template)||Enter a description for the template. It can be up to 2048 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.|
|3.||Graceful restart||Ensure that Yes is selected to enable graceful restart. By default, graceful restart for OMP is enabled.|
|4.||Graceful restart timer|| |
Specify how often the OMP information cache is flushed and refreshed. A timer value of 0 disables OMP graceful restart.
|5.||Send path limit|| |
Specify the maximum number of equal-cost routes to advertise. vEdge routers advertise routes to vSmart controllers, and the controllers redistributes the learned routes, advertising each route-TLOC tuple. A vEdge router can have up to four TLOCs, and by default advertises each route-TLOC tuple to the vSmart controller. If a local site has two vEdge routers, a vSmart controller could potentially learn eight route-TLOC tuples for the same route. If the configured limit is lower than the number of route-TLOC tuples, the best route or routes are advertised.
|6.||ECMP limit (on vEdge routers only)|| |
Specify the maximum number of OMP paths received from the vSmart controller that can be installed in the vEdge router's local route table. By default, a vEdge router installs a maximum of four unique OMP paths into its route table.
|7.||Send backup paths (on vSmart Controllers only)||Click On to have OMP advertise backup routes to vEdge routers. By default, OMP advertises only the best route or routes. If you configure to send backup paths, OMP also advertises the first non-best route in addition to the best route or routes.|
|8.||Advertisement interval|| |
Specify the number of seconds between OMP Update packets.
Range: 0 through 65535 seconds
|9.||Hold time|| |
Specify the number of seconds to wait before closing the OMP connection to a peer. If the peer does not receive three consecutive keepalive messages within the hold time, the OMP connection to the peer is closed.
|10.||Shutdown||Ensure that No is selected, to enable to Viptela overlay network. Click Yes to disable OMP and disable the Viptela overlay network. OMP is enabled by default.|
|11.||Advertise (on vEdge routers only)|| |
Click On or Off to enable or disable the vEdge router advertising to OMP the routes that it learns locally:
|12.||Discard rejected (on vSmart controllers only)||Click Yes to have OMP discard routes that have been rejected on the basis of policy. By default, rejected routes are not discarded.|
|12.||Save||Click Save to save the feature template.|
omp advertise (bgp | connected | ospf | static) (on vEdge routers only) discard-rejected (on vSmart controllers only) ecmp-limit number (on vEdge routers only) graceful-restart send-backup-paths (on vSmart controllers only) send-path-limit number [no] shutdown timers advertisement-interval seconds graceful-restart-timer seconds holdtime seconds
Introduced in vManage NMS in Release 15.2.