Once you have prepared your site for router installation, unpack the vEdge 100b router and mount it either on the wall or in a 19-inch rack.
Unpack the vEdge 100b Router
A vEdge 100b router is shipped in a cardboard carton and secured firmly in place with foam packing material. The carton contains a packing list and Quick Start instructions. It is recommended that you do not unpack the router till you are ready to install it.
To unpack the router:
- Open the top flaps of the carton.
- Gradually remove the packing foam holding the router and the accessories in place. See Figure 1.
- Take out the router and each accessory.
- Verify the router components against the packing list included in the box (see packing list below).
Figure 1: Unpacking the vEdge 100b Router
Note: It is recommended that you do not discard the shipping carton and packing material when you unpack the router. Flatten and store the box in case you need to move or return the router in the future. See Return Hardware.
Packing List for a vEdge 100b Router
The cardboard carton in which the router is packed includes a packing list. Check the parts you receive with your router against the items on the packing list. The packing list specifies the part number, name, and quantity of each item in the carton.
If any part on the packing list is missing, contact your customer service representative or contact Viptela customer support from within the U.S. or Canada by telephone at 800-525-5033 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table 1 lists the parts shipped with the vEdge 100b router and their quantities.
|USB console cable||1|
|Mounting ears, left and right||2|
|Mounting-ear screws (Packet A)||6|
|Rack-mount screws (Packet B)||4|
|AC power adapter and connectors||1 + 4|
|Quick Start document||1|
Mount the vEdge 100b Router
You can mount the vEdge 100b router in one of the following ways:
- Mount the router in a 19-inch rack
- Mount the router on the wall
In addition to the accessory box, you need the following tools to mount a vEdge 100b router:
- Number 2 Phillips (+) screwdriver
- Tape measure or level
Mount the vEdge 100b Router in a Rack
You can mount the vEdge 100b router on two front posts in a 19-inch rack using simple rack mount ear accessories. To do so:
- Place the router chassis on the floor or on a sturdy table near the rack.
- Verify the internal dimensions of the rack with a tape measure. The rack-mount tray is 440 mm wide and must fit within the mounting posts.
- Secure the left and right mounting ears to either side of the router chassis using the six screws (two on each side) in the packet marked A.
Figure 2: Attaching the Mounting Ears to the vEdge 100b Router Chassis
- Grasp both sides of the router, then lift and position it in the rack, making sure that the mounting ear holes are aligned with the threaded holes in the rack rail.
Figure 3: Positioning the vEdge 100b Router in the Rack
- Secure the mounting ears to the two front posts of the rack using the four rack-mount screws (two on each side) in the packet marked B. Tighten the screws.
Figure 4: Attaching the Mounting Ears to the Rack
- Use a tape measure or level to verify that the tray is installed straight and the holes at either ends of the rack align properly.
Tip: It is recommended that you retain the dust covers on any unused ports.
Mount the vEdge 100b Router on the Wall
You can mount the vEdge 100b router on the wall either horizontally or vertically.
To mount the vEdge 100b router on the wall:
- Measure the distance between the two wall-mount holes on the underside of the router chassis as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Measuring the Distance Between the Wall-Mount Holes
- Insert two wall-mount screws in the wall where you are mounting the router (screws not provided). The screws must align with the wall-mount holes on the router's underside.
- Align the wall-mount holes on the router's underside to the screws in the wall, and gently slide the chassis, from side to side or up and down, onto the wall-mount screws.
Figure 6: Sliding the Router Chassis onto the Wall-Mount Screws