To start the vSmart controller, you must create a virtual machine (VM) instance for it on a server that is running hypervisor software. This article describes how to create a VM on a server running the VMware vSphere ESXi Hypervisor software. You can also create the VM on a server running the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) Hypervisor software.
For server requirements, see Server Hardware Recommendations.
To create a vSmart VM instance on the ESXi hypervisor:
- Launch the vSphere Client and create a vSmart VM instance.
- Add a vNIC for the management interface.
- Start the vSmart VM instance and connect to the console.
The details of each step are provided below.
If you are using the VMware vCenter Server to create the vSmart VM instance, follow the same procedure. Note, however, that the vCenter Server screens look different than the vSphere Client screens shown in the procedure.
Launch vSphere Client and Create a vSmart VM Instance
- Launch the VMware vSphere Client application, and enter the IP address or name of the EXSi server, your username, and your password. Click Login to log in to the ESXi server.
The system displays the ESXi screen.
- Click File ► Deploy OVF Template to deploy the virtual machine.
- In the Deploy OVF Template screen, enter the location to install and download the OVF package. This package is the vsmart.ova file that you downloaded from the Viptela Support webpage. Then click Next.
- Click Next to verify OVF template details.
- Enter a name for the deployed template and click Next. The figure below specifies a name for the vSmart instance.
- Click Next to accept the default format for the virtual disks.
- Click Next to accept your destination network as the destination network for the deployed OVF template. In the figure below, CorpNet is the destination network.
- In the Ready to Complete screen, click Finish. The figure below shows the name for the vSmart instance.
The system has successfully created the VM instance with the parameters you just defined and displays the vSphere Client screen with the Getting Started tab selected. By default, this includes one vNIC. This vNIC is used for the tunnel interface.
Add a vNIC for the Management Interface
- In the left navigation bar of the vSphere Client, select the vManage VM instance you just created, and click Edit virtual machine settings.
- In the vManage – Virtual Machine Properties screen, click Add to add a new vNIC for the management interface. Then click OK.
- Click Ethernet Adapter for the type of device you wish to add. Then click Next.
- In the Adapter Type drop-down, select either E1000 or VMXNET3 for the vNIC to add. Then click Next.
- In the Ready to Complete screen, click Finish.
- The vManage – Virtual Machine Properties screen opens showing that the new vNIC is being added. Click OK to return to the vSphere Client screen.
Start the vSmart VM Instance and Connect To the Console
- In the left navigation bar of the vSphere Client, select the virtual machine instance you just created, and click Power on the virtual machine. The vSmart virtual machine is powered on.