A service provider can manage multiple customers, called tenants, from a single vManage NMS that is running in multitenant mode. All tenants share a single vBond orchestrator. All tenants share the service provider's domain name, with each tenant having a subdomain name to identify the tenant. For example, the service provider fruit.com might manage the tenants mango (mango.fruit.com) and plum (plum.fruit.com). For each tenant, you configure one or more vSmart controllers and vEdge routers the same way that you configure these devices on a single-tenant vManage NMS.
To create a multitenant vManage NMS, you must start with a new vManage server. You cannot migrate an existing single-tenant vManage server to a multitenant vManage server, even if you invalidate or delete all devices from the existing server.
After you place a vManage NMS server into multitenant mode, you cannot convert it back to single-tenant mode.
Place the vManage NMS into Multitenant Mode
- Log in to the vManage NMS, at the URL https://management-ip-address:8443/, as a user with "admin" credentials.
- In vManage NMS, select Administration ► Settings.
- In the Tenancy Mode bar, click the Edit button to the right.
- In the Tenancy field, click Multitenant.
- In the Domain field, enter the domain name for the service provider (for example, viptela.com).
- Click Save. The vManage server reboots and comes back up in multitenant mode.
- Log in to the vManage NMS, at the URL https://CLUSTER-ID.DOMAIN:8443/, as a user with "admin" credentials.
- In vManage NMS, select Administration ► Tenant Management.
- In the left pane, click the Add Tenant button.
- In the Add Tenant window:
- Enter a name for the tenant. It can be up to 128 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.
- Enter a description for the tenant. It can be up to 256 characters and can contain only alphanumeric characters.
- Enter the name of the organization. The name is case-sensitive. It is the name in the certificates for all Viptela network devices, and it must be identical on all devices in the overlay network.
- In the URL subdomain field, enter the domain name for the tenant. The domain name must include the provider's domain name. For example, for the provider viptela.com, a valid domain name might be plum.viptela.com. You must also configure this same domain name when you enable multitenancy mode, in vManage Administration ► Settings ► Tenancy Mode.
- Click Save.
- The Create Tenant screen is displayed, and the Status column shows In progress. To view status messages related to the creation of the tenant, click the > to the left of the status column.
After about 1 minute, the Status column changes to Success, and the tenant table shows the tenant's system IP address.
All tenants share a single vBond orchestrator. For each individual tenant, you deploy one or more vSmart controllers and one or more vEdge routers.